Staying positive is a daunting challenge even for most adults. But I think we would all agree that there are huge benefits to having a positive attitude, and cultivating a “half glass full” mindset at a young age will set you up for success and happiness in life. In the video below, Eva and I offer 5 ways to help your kids develop a positive mindset. Not surprisingly, these same suggestions can work wonders for adults too.
- Listen To Upbeat Music – The right music can instantly put you in a good mood. Everyone has different tastes in music — but when your favorite song comes on — there is no denying that your troubles can at least temporarily fade away. We love to play dance music in our house because not only does it sound incredible, but it gets you moving which also elevates your mood.
- Have A Good Laugh – There is nothing like a good laugh to put you in a good mood. Indeed, when you laugh, endorphins are released triggering positive feelings in your body. Whenever Olga or I come across funny (kid-appropriate) video on Youtube, we make a point to bookmark it and watch the video with Eva later. After dinner last night, our whole family laughed our way through this “Carpool Karaoke” clip with Late Show host James Corden and Stevie Wonder. It put all of us in a great mood.
- Go For A Walk – This suggestion might sound strange at first. But when you think about it, healthy, active people tend to be happier. Going for a walk also gives you an opportunity to unplug and take the time to reflect on your day. When the weather is nice, we try to take a short walk as a family after dinner where we can have some quality time together, breath in the fresh air, and enjoy a nice conversation.
- Create Art – Exercising your creativity through art is a great outlet to express emotions and increase happiness levels. We try to carve out at least one time per week for Eva to do an arts and craft project — whether it is painting with watercolors, drawing with chalk on our driveway, or designing a necklace. Without fail, these projects calm her energy and she completes each one with a sense of accomplishment that positively impacts her mood for the rest of the day.
- Be A Source Of Positivity For Others – It is impossible not to be happy when you put a smile on someone else’s face. It can be as easy as giving a hug to a friend who is going through a tough time, or calling a relative out of the blue just to say how much you appreciate them. Try to make it a daily habit to bring positivity into the life of someone you love, and you’ll see the beneficial impact that has on your own mindset as well.
We hope that this video and article inspires you to be more positive. And we’ve created a tool that could help you do just that! Specifically, we are offering a free 7-Day Positive Mindset challenge. You can customize the challenge sheet with your own face and name. The idea is to spend an entire week working on your attitude and taking action to cultivate a positive mindset in your life. You can use the methods we describe above, and of course, we would love to hear your suggestions in the comments below. Our customizable challenge sheet is 100% free to download and print, and you can create them for your entire family 🙂