When you don’t have to worry about the basic necessities of life, it is easy to forget that much of the world is not so lucky… Here are 5 reasons you can feel blessed today, and some startling statistics that will make you realize just how fortunate you are!
1. You didn’t go to sleep hungry – Some 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life, according to the World Food Programme. That’s about one in nine people on earth. If you enjoyed a nutritious dinner tonight and went to bed without any hunger pains, you are blessed.
2. You woke up with a roof over your head – There is an estimated 100 million homeless people worldwide, according to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights. And over 500,000 in the United States, the richest country on earth. If tonight you tucked yourself into a nice warm bed in the comfort of a home that protected you from the cold and rain, you are blessed.
3. You were not scared for your life – A sad reality of today’s world is that many countries are at war. Over 9 million Syrians have fled the horrific civil war happening there. Millions of children have been forced to quit school, leave their homes and thousands have been killed. If you did not have to worry today about a bomb dropping on your homes or losing your parents in a senseless war, you are blessed.
4. You have access to clean drinking water – In the United States, we are able to turn on the faucet in our kitchen sink and drink the water. This is a luxury that much of the world does not enjoy. Indeed, 783 million people do not have access to clean water and almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation. All plants and animals must have water to survive. If there was no water there would be no life on earth. If you are able to easily access clean water, you are blessed.
5. You have access to the internet – This statistic is the most startling. Over 60% of the world does not have internet access. Over 4 Billion people! I know most of us cannot imagine going a single day without the internet. No Youtube! No Netflix! But most importantly, internet gives people access to information. Saber Es Poder… Knowledge Is Power. if you had access to the internet today where you can search and learn about anything you want, you are blessed.
In the below video, my 6-year-old daughter Eva discuss these five reasons in greater depth and the gratitude we feel for not having to worry about these issues.
The act of researching and writing this post was a giant wake-up all for our family. Not only in just how lucky we are to enjoy the comforts we do — basic rights that hundreds of millions of people worldwide are not able to enjoy. We decided to commit to going an entire week without complaining, and create a “7-Day No Complaining Challenge.” It’s not easy as you think to go an entire week without complaining, and a few times, we had to remind each other of the exercise and went through these 5 reasons again to put our “problem” in perspective. You can download our fun 7-Day No Complaining challenge sheet below, which can be customized with your face and name. In the comments below, let us know what you are grateful for. We also challenge you to try the 7-Day No Complaining challenge and let us know how your experience went in the comments below!